In Big Fat Lies David explodes the myths about diet, exercise and vitamin supplements, examining the latest scientific evidence and exposing the role the multibillion-dollar food, health and diet industries have played in promoting the health messages we follow or feel guilty about not following.
Eat less, exercise more, eat less saturated fat, eat more polyunsaturated oils, take vitamin and omega-3 fatty acid supplements – this is what we are told (and the statistics even show it is what we do) – but the rates of obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, dementia and cancer have never been higher.
The real culprits, David says, are sugar and polyunsaturated oils. He outlines a plan to avoid them without missing out or ‘dieting’, and to improve our health, happiness and life-expectancy. David’s analysis has found:
- Diets don’t work. The studies show that the best indication that we will be fatter in 2 years is being on a diet now.
- Vitamins are simply a way of producing expensive urine. The only measurable effect is on the size of your bank balance.
- Sugar is in everything, is highly addictive and is the root cause of most chronic diseases (such as obesity, Type II diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney disease).
- Polyunsaturated fat (think margarine and canola oil) makes us prone to cancers and helps sugar finish off the job on heart disease.
- The answer for good health is simple. Do not eat sugar or polyunsaturated oils and the rest will take care of itself. You will be thinner, healthier, happier and live long enough to annoy your children.